As we enter middle age, we are more likely to experience lower back pain. The pain strikes suddenly or it may get chronic over time. So, when you feel a sharp pain that stabs your back, don’t ignore it because it may turn in a chronic pain. However, most people say to wait and see if the pain resolves of its own, and if the pain won’t improve in a 4 days, you should see a physical therapist.
Lower back pain may occur due to extend sitting or standing, but it often can be the symptom of herniated disc.
Yet, most cases of lower back pain root to strain or sprain due to simple overuse, unusual activities, accidents, excessive lifting.
So, if your lower back pain has other sources than herniated disc or sciatica, you can try some home remedies to ease the pain:
- Epsom Salt Bath
- Drink Turmeric Milk
- Apply Heating Pad On Your Back
- Apply Ice Packs On Your Back
Apply Garlic Paste:
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- warm towel
How to prepare and use:
Crush the garlic cloves to form a fine paste.
Apply this paste to the affected area and cover it with the warm towel.
Leave it on for 25 to 30 minutes and then wipe it off with a wet piece of cloth.
Apply this remedy twice daily. It’s advisable to take a warm Epsom Bath before applying the garlic paste.
Another option is to apply a homemade warming balm, locally. If you can take an Epsom Bath and apply the garlic poultice in the evening to ease the pain and reduce inflammation, during the day you can apply this homemade warming balm alleviate the back pain.
Turmeric and Cayenne Pepper Warming Balm
- 125 g of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 8 g of Turmeric Powder
- 8 g of Cayenne Powder (15 capsules)
- A pinch (0.25 g) ground black pepper
- 25 g Organic Beeswax Pellets
- 5 g Organic Cacao Butter
How to prepare:
- First of all, put on a pair of gloves not to stain your hands with turmeric or to make them burn to cayenne pepper.
- Weigh all of the ingredients on a kitchen scale.
- Infuse the turmeric, cayenne, and black pepper and coconut oil in the top of the double boiler over the lowest heat setting for 1 hour.
- Set up a Pyrex glass measuring cup with a mesh strainer and cheesecloth set inside to filter the oil.
- Strain the oil through cheesecloth.
- Squeeze the cheesecloth to extract the remaining oil.
- Now, add the beeswax and cocoa butter to the double boiler and pour in the infused oil. Stir constantly and keep your eyes on it not to overheat the mixture. The beeswax and cocoa butter need to melted not overheated.
- When melted, pour the mixture immediately into a clean container. You can use small jam jars or empty moisturize containers.
Tips to prevent lower back pain
- Sleep with a pillow under your knees
- Work your core
- Change your shoes
- Don’t slump over your desk