If you’re suffering from gout, you already know the signs of a gout flare-up! Once a gout attack starts, there’s nothing much you can do to stop it. Fortunately, there are some effective solutions to alleviate its symptoms at home.
What is gout, anyway?
Something that hurts, for sure! Gout is a type of arthritis which begins with sudden and intense pain, redness, heat, swelling and tenderness in the joints. This type of arthritis usually affects the large joint of the big toe, but the symptoms can appear to your feet, ankles, knees, hands and wrists.
A gout attack lasts between 5 and 10 days.
What causes gout?
Gout is caused by high uric acid buildup in the blood which is later accumulated in the joints, leading to inflammation and pain.
Treatment for gout
When gout flare-up is taking place you have to see a doctor immediately. Yes, you can alleviate gout symptoms using over-the-counter ointments and medicines yet it’s better to see a doctor to prescribe or change the dosage of your medicine.
Relief gout pain without medicines
- Apply cold compresses
- Leave the joint to rest
- Drink plenty of water
- Change your diet – eat foods that lower the uric acid in your blood
Homemade topical ointment to alleviate gout symptoms
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp beeswax pellets
- 2 tsp camphor crystals (or 5 drops camphor oil)
- 2 tsp menthol crystals (or 5 drops peppermint essential oil)
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil
How to prepare:
- Start by melting the coconut oil and beeswax together. You can do this in the microwave, but it’s better to melt it in Bain-Marie. Stir well.
- Next, allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. Then add the essential oils and stir again.
- Pour the mixture into a small Mason Jar with lid and let it cool completely.
How to apply:
Scoop some ointment and apply it to the painful area. Massage gently until the ointment is absorbed into your skin. The warmth of the painful area will make the ointment spreadable.